Friday, March 12, 2010
I've got the Home Schooling Blues.
Well, the wedding is over. It has been one week, and Amanda and Eric, are now doing laundry at my house. That's ok, it gives us time with them. Eric helped me hang a cowboy hat rack above our doorway. It is nice having a new son-in-law. So The party is over, as it were. Life should be back to normal, but what is normal. May I share something with you? It's retorical, I know. I fully intend to tell you whether or not you wanted to hear it. I am afraid my kids are not going to get much of an education from me. We are always on again, off again. I know, some of you are thinking they are getting an education. Just a different kind of education. I am not quite sure that will get them the credits they will need to get into college. All my children can cook. They can prepare meals I could not prepare until I was in my twenties. They can do laundry, garden, and laugh out loud. We sometimes hit the books. We have tried Saxon math, Abeka math, Teaching Textbooks, and our own variety this year. THIS YEAR, mind you. It isn't that I can't decide, they are struggling, and I am trying to find what works for each of them. We may have found it, but they are now behind a year. That is only math. History and Science are optional. RIGHT??? Like I said on again, off again. We tried living science, that was too sporatic. We tried Apologia, I love this one, but I can't afford one for each level. So we tried Abeka for the younger ones, and Apologia for my ninth grader. They whined that they missed working together. I did too. So We are back to combining the older two in Apologia, and Abeka for the younger one. It is March, and I am just now figuring this out. History is a whole other story. I love Whole Books. We love biographies. However, we are not consistant enough. They love when I read them to them. But, when it comes to them reading them. It takes forever for them to finish them. We write reports, when we remember. So I guess I need more structure. I pulled out OLD FAITHFUL. What allows us to work together? Covers History, Science, Bible, and Language? What is hands on, and a boatload of fun? KONO'S Fun times ahead. I have the High School Ancient History, well most of it anyways. I think I recall that the last time we did KONO's It was a lot of work. And, if I recall, most of that work was for me. I am not liking the sound of that. Does that make me lazy. I have spelling power, a library of classic literature, and biography's. I have Science, and lots of Total Language Plus. I am a mess. I want them to have a good education. I just can't stick to anything. It has been a tough year. OK the last 3 years have been tough. My daughter had a baby in November. So, I had to go to Montana to be with that new baby. that took three weeks. Then the Holidays. Well who doesn't need a break then. Then my other daughter was getting married. So lots of breaks to run errands, and arrange things. Then my dad died. So out to California I go. Then the wedding, and lots of guests. OK, We have to break for that. Right? Now I am going to Texas. I need a vacation. Only two days. We can cram the week into three days. I NEED HELP!!!!!! Am I ruining these kids???? I keep thinking they would be better off in public school. Then I come to my senses. I know of other programs for homeschoolers. Can't afford them. I have to get it together. I am always organizing, always trying to find what works best, What works for each of them. And Me. Why oh Why can't I stick to something. This is just like my Diets. I have every diet book known to man. Exercise tapes, you name it. And yet... I am not 125 lbs. What should I do???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
For once I am glad your comment section doesn't pop up automatically. I have homeschooled my children for the past 16 years. After being home for three years, my oldest went back to the public school for grades 10-12 and graduated from the public school. My second oldest went through the alternative high school program at the technical center, received a GED, and should have received technical skills as well, but since he got his GED right away and then got into some trouble, he was not allowed to finish the CAD program he was excelling at. (So much for the public school system...) Next was my daughter who finished school at home and later, when she was 21, went "back to school" and got an "external diploma". The teacher was impressed with her abilities and thinks me a wonderful teacher. (If only she knew.) This program is no longer available. Child number four finished at home, if you can call our scattered school days finishing. He loves history and science, did okay in math, and loves to tell stories. He decided to take the GED, did well, and proceeded to attend a community college for a year. Number five was enrolled in a secular correspondence course, The American School. He seemed to like it, checked the mail every day for grades, and did very well. He was several courses from finished when he got a job as custodian at church and he and some friends got an apartment together. Need I tell you he never finished? Well, it was paid for... Child six. I began to think I had too many children... I enrolled him in the American School (before child five stopped corresponding). He did well with the two or three courses he actually completed. He is ,shall I say, not a math whiz, and I am not a math teacher. He is great with language skills, seems to enjoy history, loves his nephews, and is easily frustrated by things he doesn't understand. He loves cars, is musically inclined, and owns a stunt bike. He recently got a job washing dishes at a local restaurant on Mondays. Sometimes that turns into several day a week instead of one. And finally, child seven. She works well independently and seems to understand math. At least I think she does... She begged for a German program a few years ago, found one on sale in CBD, and still seems motivated enough to learn. If only she had better access to the computer... I wish I felt there were options when it comes to education. My sisters seem to think the public school is okay... I don't think I can go there... Christian school is not only too expensive, I don't feel it is a good alternative either. I also have days when I feel like I have ruined my children. Then I remind myself that God is in control and I try to let Him worry about all those things. All this to say, I know what you're saying.
Could you pass the cheese?
Mart, before I post your comment. Do you want me to? I think there might be some homeschoolers know that we all feel this way at times. Although, I think you and I are the only ones that see this. I think you have great kids. I have heard it said that God knew who my kids parents were going to be, and who my children are. We are a perfect match.
Yeah, go ahead. I enjoyed your post, maybe someone out there will enjoy my comment. :)
Post a Comment